Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Fostering good eating habits in gamers

When you're having one of those weeks where there's just no inspiration to blog, it can be a great time to point out other amazing blogs instead. To that end I would like to turn you to The Bedrock Blog, where Bedrock Games discusses the benefits of eating right at the game table (and in general). This is a subject near and dear to me as I have had diabetes for going on 15 years now (discovered I was diabetic in 1999-2000) and keeping a good blood sugar is a careful juggling act.

My diabetes may have been a "tipping point" issue, where I maintained excellent health and eating habits throughout college and early into my post-degree years, but around 1998-1999 I landed my first serious desk jobs*, got married to my second wife who was an amazing cook with a serious sweet tooth, and dropped biking from my regular regimen (mostly due to downtown Seattle being a nightmare to traverse on a bike, and my job requiring a lengthy driving commute). The story of everyone's life....stay fit because it's routine, then one day the routine changes and time becomes precious. These days I am forcing all the time I can in; I plan to be around as long as humanly possible for my family, and eating right is part of that process.

At my game table I like to drag along snap peas, mini sweet peppers, celery sticks and carrots (among other things). Do it long enough and pretty soon the pizza, candy, potato chips and endless high-carb dessert snacks start to looks positively disgusting. Trust me! It's worth it.




*Also I tended to work weird hours, mostly to get that shift differential, and later because that's just the way it was. Turns out that diabetes is not helped by poor sleep habits and weird work schedules. There were months --months!-- at a time that I functioned on 3-4 hours of sleep every night. So protip: don't do that if you don't want to be sticking yourself with an insulin pen for the rest of your life, m'kay?

No comments:

Post a Comment