Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Slender: The Arrival


I just wanted to point out that Slender: The Arrival is over on Steam and has been for a few weeks now. I finally got a chance to play it, and for the few hours I crawled around in a dark wooded area filled with abandoned houses, park service leavings and other oddities I was seriously taken in.

The gradually developing mystery and ominous sense of dread builds with an even pace. The first appearance of the Slender Man is hard to forget, and by the time he gets you you'll be thoroughly nerve-wracked. The whole tale is seen through the lens of your avatar's camera, which itself goes on the fritz when Slender Man gets too close.

Pros:

Excellent developing atmosphere and sense of dread; nice graphics.

Part of the "helpless survivor" horror genre in which you cannot engage in combat and can only survive by escaping. Stay away if you don't like this style of horror, though.

Lots of interesting and weird little clues to find, leading up to the famous eight pages which you must find in the woods while Slender Man stalks you.

Cons:

Too short, in that it's possible to run through it in short order, less than an hour. If you like to explore it will last a lot longer, however; my first play-through lasted a little over two hours before I bought the farm.

Not enough replayability, although I could see breaking this out and reloading for fun every Halloween.

If you'd like to check out one of the better examples of indie horror RPGs in the morbid flesh then go grab Slender: The Arrival. The price on Steam is only $10 and in my opinion I definitely got my money's worth out of it.

A+



No comments:

Post a Comment